10 Tips for Healthier Fast Food Choices
It’s possible to make wise choices and eat a fairly healthy meal at fast food restaurants if you order carefully.
- Instead of French fries or onion rings, order healthy side items like vegetables and fruits. Consider salads, apple slices, or carrots.
- Select from the restaurant’s healthy menu, if available. Most chains have their menu online.
- Order the smallest sandwich on the menu, or get the kid’s size.
- Ask for grilled chicken instead of fried chicken in sandwiches, wraps, and salads.
- Ask for sandwiches without mayonnaise, sauces, or cheese.
- Opt for low-fat or low-calorie sauces and dressings such as mustard, fat-free salad dressing, or salsa.
- Order a main course salad, but be careful. Sometimes salads with a lot of high-fat meats and cheeses actually have more calories than a cheeseburger. When it comes to salad dressing, a little can go a long way, so use the smallest amount possible and always order it on the side.
- Choose lean meats or veggies for subs; try the turkey or grilled chicken breast sub instead of a meatball sub.
- For subs, ask that some of the bread be scooped out before it’s assembled and pile on fresh veggies.
- Choose sugar-free drinks, such as water (best choice!), unsweetened tea, coffee, or diet soda.
Thank you to the American Diabetes Association for providing this content.